The first thought invoked by the word garden is of my grandfather. The reasoning for this is that I previously formed an association between him and gardening because that was his passion after he retired from the military. I did not know my grandfather on a very personal level, but I believe gardening offered him a sense of tranquility and serenity after he had served in the American Navy during World War II. I remember walking through his garden after he passed away and being in awe of the intertwining paths throughout the garden and also the neatness and elegance in which the flowers and plants were arranged. The garden presented a clear image of plants that were closely tended and cared for. Beyond tranquility, his garden had a practical sense as he often brought in fresh vegetables for dinner. Overall, the word garden in itself does not hold much meaning for me, but the associations it has with my grandfather reveal its significance in the fact that it is a way for me to connect with someone I really did not know. My grandfathers garden served as a defining feature of his hobbies and personality, as the organized, methodical, serene, and calm aspects of his garden are representative of what I heard about his personality.
I also see the impact my grandfather’s gardening had on my father, as my father often grows plants within our house. I think this factor is interesting as it shows how gardening in some cases can be an inherited feature, which may be something that I inherit from my father.
Within myself, the word garden invokes words such as serenity and peacefulness. However, it also invokes words such as tiresome and maintenance. I think this factor is imperative because to reach the a serene and peaceful garden it requires non-stop effort, constant attention, and reflection, which are similar to the methods necessary to reach contentment and peace within oneself.
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/lessons-from-my-grandfather-in-the-garden/
This link is to a relevant blog post by Trent Hamm in which he lists off the five things he learned due to his grandfather’s garden, which I think relates quite well to the things that the word garden inspires in me.
photos of relevent gardens:
The first photo reminds me of the pathway in my grandfather’s garden. The second photo reminds me of some of the water features in my grandfather’s garden. The third photo reminds me of some of the vegetation spotted in my grandfather’s garden.
1.
2.
3.
sources:
1. http://hubpages.com/entertainment/Small-Paths-in-Gardens-Gallery-Take-a-Stroll-with-Me
2. http://epoke-conseil.com/PoisonousEvergreen/evergreens-new-england
3. http://onbotanicalphotography.blogspot.dk/2011/04/visit-to-parc-tenbosch-brussels.html
No comments:
Post a Comment